Communication is the process that is important nowadays. There are so many ways of communication available for people that the need of letter and packages have declined a lot but it has not ceased to exist completely.
The need for writing an address properly is still there if you want to deliver your package to the right person and at the right place.
What Is An Address?
An address is like an exact pinpoint way of locating a building, an exact spot on the map. This collection of information is used in a specific format for the convenience of the user.
It is known to contain things like political boundaries, street names, building numbers, organization names, and even postal codes as geographical references for the location. An address can be used for a lot of reasons.
However, the most common use of an address is to deliver mails and packages. It is the unique location spot that belongs to a certain person or individual.
How To Write An Address?
There are several ways to write an address depending on the matter or rather substance that you are writing the address on. For instance, there is a bit of a difference between writing an address for a resume and writing an address on an envelope.
We have discussed a variety of such address formats with you in the following portion of the article.
On An Envelope
You have to write two addresses on the envelope. The sender’s and the recipient’s.
The sender’s address –
It should be placed in the upper left-hand corner of the envelope.
- The name should be placed on the first line.
- If you are sending from a business then write the company’s name in the next line.
- Next, write out the building number and street name.
- Then it should have the city-state and ZIP code of the place.
The recipient’s address –
You have to place it in the center of the envelope.
- Recipient’s name on the first line.
- Write the building number and street name on the second line.
- The city, state, and ZIP code of the place on the final line.
On A Business Letter
Here is how you write a business letter or address someone of the company.
- First-line should have the recipient’s name. People tend to use the prefix of the name too. If you know the designation of the person then after the surname gives a comma and give the designation of the person like CEO and such.
- The name of the business should be in the second line.
- Next, you will need to write on the building number and street name.
- Finally the city, state, and ZIP code of the address.
A Military Address
There are a few things that are changed while writing a military address. Here US how you write down a military address.
- The recipient’s first name goes on the first line.
- The next line will contain the building number and street name.
- Here instead of writing the name of the city, you will put DPO for the Diplomatic Post Office, APO for the Air/Army Post Office, or FPO for the Fleet Post Office.
- Again instead of the name of the state you need to write the individual’s duty station, such as AA for Armed Forces America, AE for Armed Forces Europe or AP for Armed Forces Pacific.
- The ZIP code generally follows the same format but the additional four number code is required for the delivery.
There will be some difference between sending letters across a country. Try to check out their specific rules. Here is a general version.
- Recipient’s name on the first line.
- Write the building number and street name on the second line. You can also give a house name if you have one.
- Then list the town and the city in the next line.
- In the next line, you will write the name of the country.
- Then you will write the postal code of the address.
In A Resume
You should include your address at the top of the resume. This is part of your contact info. The employer might want to reach you and need that address. You can use the same format as that of a General mailing address. Write it in small but legible print that can be understood by the reader.
In One Line
If you are writing an address in one line then you need to use proper punctuation to make sure that people understand that address. In one line you will write the following info with commas in between each of them. You have to write in the order of person’s name, street address, apartment number, city.
Tips and Tricks for Writing Addresses
Here are a few tips and tricks –
- Place stamps at the top right corner of the envelope.
- Use full ZIP code for the address. This increases the chance of your letter being delivered successfully. you should use the five-digit ZIP code plus the four additional numbers that are specific to the area.
- Make sure that your handwriting is legible to read.
- Refrain from adding any additional info at the base of the address. Only write the address and leave it.
- You should use the correct abbreviations too if you are in fact using any in your address.
- Commas are also needed to be added when it is appropriate. Do not forget the punctuation.
We hope that you liked this article. There are many ways to write an address but we have given you the proper way for doing it. Thank you so much for sharing your time and giving this article a read. This has meant a lot to us and it would mean even more if you could share this article with the others too. We would love to hear from you so feel free to comment in the comment section below. Have a great day guys! And take care of yourself.